March 24, 2005

Food for Thought

I was having coffee with a good friend the other day and she was telling me about a documentary she had seen. It was a different perspective on why we as Americans react the way we do to different situations. Mostly as to why our reactions are so violent. My curiosity was peaked and I already knew I liked the director so I asked to borrow the movie. My husband and I sat down to watch this movie last night, not a word was spoken during the film. It was a whole new perspective.
The whole idea behind the film was that we, as Americans, are spoon fed fear on a constant basis. Think about it, their right. I watch the news atleast twice a day. Yea I know, I'm old. But after seeing this I have noticed some things that I didn't notice before. We all are aware that 99% of what you see on the news is bad, but pay attention to what they do when they run out of stories about people being criminals. My local channel happened to do a segment last night called "Things in your home that could kill you and you don't know about". Hmmm Where are the stories about the good people in our communities? Where are the stories about the people who make a difference? But wait, they answered that question in the documentary as well, it doesn't make for good ratings.
They showed some interesting statistics. The year this film was made there were over 11,000 gun deaths in the USA, the next runner up was Germany with just over 300. Pretty scary that the next runner up was still over 10,000 behind. Why do we in this country have such a lack of respect for life? Why do we not have respect for the basic human right to breath? My daughter tells me all the time when she grows up it will be different. She will make a change. She says she will stop the corruption in our government, our corporations and our communities. I hope she does, I really hope she does.

3 comments:

Justice said...

This place used to be a peaceful land, fairly, anyway; the Natives did fight amongst each other, but had a level of honor and respect even in the middle of war. When the Europeans came over, and took over, I would think in all the atrocities they committed there would have to have been a particular mindset to maintain it - almost sociopathic. It was murder and cruelty that made this place a "country." I think that mindset continues on today both blatantly and even subtly. Yes, other nations have horribly violent pasts, but we are a young nation - the invincible, smartass teen out to change the world without much more thought than our non-fully developed brain can handle. What's different about America? Well, take Germany for instance. Jewish people still live among them. Germans face their bloody past daily, even if subtly. America, on the other hand, shoved its few still living natives onto reservations and told them to shut up or die. They are still there while we romantize headdresses with fake feathers. The truth in my mind is this, generally: Americans follow. Americans choose not to learn. Americans choose not to look because they are terrified of what they will see -- and it has nothing to do with whatever household appliance is more dangerous this week. It has everything to do with the lessons which come from looking down at one's own hands and seeing them covered in the blood of somebody's baby, mother, brother, father, sister, grandmother, grandfather... somebody's rock... somebody's entire people.

Just some thoughts... or a novel.. lol

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been reading your blog for about a week. I'm from Ontario, (I'm native, aboriginal, indian, you know!) but live in Michigan. I like living here, but it scares me the amount violence that happens and is swept under the rug of tomorrow's news. I don't want that anything to happen to my two children, who are American, but their father who is reluctant to become Canadian. (not that being Canadian makes much of a diff!) I hope that they will have the same attitude that your d.d. has. I think it's in all our interests that they all do! Kat (beardy @ sbcglobal . net ) omit spaces!

Ravyn said...

Justice,
i do believe that what you say is very true. It makes me so sad to see what has become of such a proud, strong people. The poverty alone is unimaginable.

Kat,
Your right, it is so scary raising children in society today. It is so difficult to find a balance between giving them the knowledge to protect themselves and not making them completely paranoid.