June 10, 2005

Why am I Insane? Reason #1

Most of you who have been reading for awhile have probably already come to the conclusion that when it comes to my children I am slightly neurotic and maybe even a bit paranoid. I'm aware of it, doesn't bother me, I'm cool with it. I figure I have lived every parents worse nightmare so I am allowed a little crazy. I have to tell you though, its situations like what happened yesterday that just confirm my craziness or my need to be anyway.
My children are going back home to visit their grandparents for a week this summer. We have been doing this for several years but normally my mom drives here to pick them up and my dad drives to bring them back. This year they decided to fly them. My sister is accompanying them, which is the only reason that I agreed to them getting on a plane. My mother bought the tickets, e-tickets, and forwarded them to me. In looking at what she forwarded it is only an itinerary of their flights. Figuring surely there must be more than that I called the airlines to see what type of documentation I would need to bring to put my children on an airplane. Here's where it gets good.
I explain to the airline representative what is going on and ask what I need to bring to the airport for them to board the plane. Maybe birth certificates or social security cards?
him: "Both of your children are under 18?"
me: "Yes"
him: "Oh well that makes it easy then. You aren't required to bring anything."
me; "No, you don't understand. We don't have the tickets in hand, these are e-tickets and it looks like nothing more than an itinerary. Their names aren't even on here. Plus, I'm not flying with them my sister is. So what do I need to do to show that I ok them getting on the plane and prove that they are who I say they are?"
him: "Ma'am, you don't have to show any proof. Federal law says that they don't have to show identification until they are 18 years of age. So you wont have any problems getting them on the plane. Your sister will have to show a valid drivers license to get her ticket but we don't need anything for the children."
me: "Your not serious"
him: "Yes ma'am, that's the law."
me: "So you mean to tell me that anyone can purchase an adult ticket and a child's ticket and board a plane with a kid without showing who they are?! All they have to do is show a drivers license?!"
him : (slightly hesitating) "Yes ma'am"
me: "DO you have any idea how easy it is to get a fake ID? They don't even have to show who this child is they are taking God knows where?! There are thousands of children snatched from their homes every year and your just going to give them a free ride on a plane?!"
him: "Ma'am we are in compliance with federal law."
me: " Well maybe you need to think about that. I can take any kid I want anywhere I want and your going to give me a ticket to do that?! Don't you find something crazy wrong with that?! (at this point I am screaming) Why not just put up a sign 'Kidnappers ride free'. I can not believe you people do absolutely nothing to ensure the safety of children on your flights. I wonder just how many flights you have booked for children who aren't who you thought they were."

The conversation only deteriorated from there. OK so it wasn't necessarily this guys fault that the laws are the way they are but I was pissed. I cannot believe it is that easy for someone to fly a child away. I know he thought he was making my life easier but all he did was make me scared shitless. Needless to say I am sure there is some type of notation somewhere on the computer system for my children's tickets so I am bringing all of the necessary documentation to the airport with me. Just in case I did make someone stop and think because apparently I was asking questions they weren't accustomed to answering.
You see, its things like this that make me crazy.

No comments: