June 02, 2005

Ladies night, oh what a night!

I received a phone call yesterday from a good friend of mine whom I haven't seen in awhile. She has just recently moved back into the area and wanted to have some friends over for dinner. I have missed her and knew I could definitely use a night out with the girls so of course I agreed. It's about an hour drive out to where she lives since I live so far out in the country but it was an enjoyable drive. Once I got there we popped open the bottle of wine I brought and visited on the front porch waiting for the others to arrive. She lives in this beautiful Cape Cod style home with its big wrap around porch, herb gardens planted decoratively in the front. She lives with 3 other women, one of which I have met recently (Linda) and really enjoyed, that woman's mother and another roommate whom I had yet to meet. The mother was there when I arrived and we hit it off immediately, what a neat woman! We had a lot of interests in common, she owns her own costuming business and I could have just picked her brain all night. Linda arrived home shortly after my arrival bringing with her another woman, I don't remember ever meeting this other woman but she knows me somehow.
Anyway, we all gathered in the living room and back porch through out the night enjoying some wine and eachothers company. How I have missed conversing with a group of intelligent women. I was particularly awed by the relationship Linda shares with her mother. You would never know they are mother and daughter, the mother doesn't look old enough for one. But most importantly they are the best of friends, it wasn't as if someone's mother was there it was a group of friends hanging out laughing and having a good time. I found myself thinking if all mothers could have that relationship with their daughters when they are grown what a wonderful thing it would be. There was a genuine bond between them of enjoyment, happiness and love; they just enjoy eachother. Dinner was amazing! We had smoked salmon over rice and some kind of fresh salad with strawberries and poppy seed dressing. All of the women in this home are artists in one form or another so the interior decorating is breath taking. What a neat group of women!
I knew when I left that we definitely needed to do that again soon. When I got home around 1am everyone was asleep so I crawled quietly into bed beside D. To my surprise he rolled over and smiled "Did you have a good time?" "Yes, I really did. You were right, I needed that." I said. "I'm always right, you should listen to me more often." was his snickered reply. Always the smartass, that one. Jabbing him lightly in the ribs we rolled over with his arms wrapped around me and went to sleep. A perfect ending to a wonderful night.

1 comment:

Justice said...

That sounds really nice, and like a most interesting group.