June 04, 2005

Assume makes an ass out of you and me

Being a mother is the most thankless, low paying job I have ever had. It is also the most rewarding and I cant think of one I would rather have. Most of you know I am a SAHM and consider myself very fortunate to be able to do that. It wasn't always that way. There was a time when I was a single mom of two working 2 full time jobs, busting my ass just to make ends meet. It seems so long ago now. I have slowly been getting to know a woman who has reminded me of that time in my life, her situation is different than mine was but I still understand.
Her husband was murdered 5 years ago leaving her with 2 young boys to try and raise on her own. They are good boys, respectful, polite; she has done a good job with them thus far. Yet, she still struggles. She goes to school full time in hopes of getting a better paying job so she can give her kids a better life and chance for the future. She works full time to be able to put what little bit of food she can afford on the table. She enrolls her boys in extra curricular activities so they wont have idle time to get in trouble. She attends everything they participate in and she is the loudest one in the stands shouting support for the kids. The children get good grades because she takes the time to sit down with them individually and work on it. She attends all of their school meetings and is involved in their education. There have been only a couple of men in her life since that dreadful night 5 years ago. Unfortunately they haven't been any who really wanted to be involved in her kids lives.
Now, when she is at a point that she needs a second job in order to maintain their house she has nobody to turn to. She is devastated that the boys may have to quit their extracurricular activities, but what other choice does she have? Who is going to be with the children while she works all night? Who is going to get them to their games? She is a proud woman and doesn't like to ask for help. There isn't really anyone close who can help. She has turned to someone she barely knows. In doing that something inside broke, the reality of her situation hit her. She cried to this woman who was barely more than a stranger not knowing what else to do. Would she help her? Would she shun her as nothing more than some single mother who had gotten herself with two kids and should have known better as other people had assumed?
People stand outside that situation and make assumptions. All they see is a woman with 2 children living in an old rental home, no father in the picture and they assume. They assume wrong. Yes I will help her, I will be glad to help her. I will help without judgment, without expectations. I have been there in my own way, so many women have been there in their own way. We should help eachother pull through this.

2 comments:

Art Hornbie said...

And keep up the good blogging. You are on my daily read blogroll.

You show both the good and the bad in your blog. Do you have any ideas for making things better or suggestions for change?

Justice said...

If there is anything I can do, let me know. I can spare a little money, I am sure... or something. Just let me know.