June 23, 2005

Buck

When I was a child my grandparents were a very integral part of my upbringing. My mother had me when she was very young so we lived with them until I was 5 and she remarried. On and off during that marriage we lived with my grandparents but even when we weren't in their home it was rare for us to be far away. They were a big part of my life. I have been thinking a lot about them lately, my grandfather mostly. Probably because of Father's Day having just passed. He was such a funny man.

Grandaddy used to have a "secret" candy drawer. Nobody knew about it except me because I was the favorite (until my daughter was born anyway). He used to sneak me candy all the time but I got extra when I felt my parents were being mean to me.
He used to tell stories about growing up on a farm. His favorite part was telling about the times he had to work in the slaughter house, because it used to make my mom puke.
He used to come out of his bedroom just to walk into the living room where we were sitting to fart all the way through the room. He laughed so hard when he did that, he did that a lot.
Grandaddy could clear out a room quicker than anyone I have ever known.
He used to tell me stories about the war. He had everything he had ever received from the military. I wish I had recorded those stories.
He never sang although his favorite song was "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble". You younger generations wont understand that.
For as long as I can remember he flirted with every cute cashier at the grocery store.
Grandaddy had the bluest eyes I have ever seen.
He didn't say "I love you" often, hardly ever. You just always knew.
He would give you everything he had if you needed it, you wouldn't have to ask.
He believed in hard work, good manners, respecting your elders and always helping others in need.
He was the first stable man in my life, the only one until my husband.
He was a good man, one of the best.
I miss you Grandaddy.

No comments: