June 23, 2005

Just a thought

I try to keep up regularly with the what's going on in the world today, I read the news and watch it on television. My husband says its because I have gotten old. Maybe so, but as I have gotten older I have found that I want to know what's happening out there. I suppose when your younger it doesn't seem really important because you cant see a direct impact on your everyday life. As you get older you realize that there are a lot of things you didn't consider important that do impact your life. Most of what I see and hear on the news is negative, hell that's pretty much all you hear about. Every now and then something will air that is a good thing but they don't dwell on that to much. I think the media is afraid that if they report to many good things they wont be able to keep their fear hold on us.
Anyway, I was sent a story yesterday that just made me smile. It was about a 12 yr old girl in Ethiopia who was kidnapped by a group of men wanting to marry her. Apparently this type of thing is not uncommon in that region. Normally the girls are kidnapped, beaten and raped so that they are shamed and must marry. Well, this time things didn't seem to go as planned. The men had succeeded in the kidnap part and were in the midst of the beating part, that's where things got a little hairy for the men. While they were beating this child 3 lions walked out of the tall grasses. The lions took the girl, placed her behind them and proceeded for the men. Obviously the men ran out of fear of being eaten. Here is the even more interesting part. The lions didn't leave, they stayed there and guarded this child until authorities found her. At that point the authorities reported the lions just got up and left.
A scientist or two has tried to find a possible explanation as to why these lions reacted this way. They explained it by saying that the child may have been whimpering while she was being beaten which reminded them of a cubs cry. Well, lets think about that for a minute. First, these were male lions not lionesses. The first thing a male lion does when taking over a pride is to eat all of the young, he ensures the females will go into heat and that all of the young will be his own. So if they did mistake it for a cub, which I highly doubt, why didn't they eat her? Secondly, how common is it to see three male lions parading around together? Really.
Just something I found very interesting. Perhaps our scientists should stop trying to prove animals aren't that intelligent. Perhaps we should pay attention and see if there isn't something we could learn from them. Or perhaps the animal kingdom at times gets tired of watching us be so stupid and just cant stand by and let us continue to destroy eachother.
Perhaps.

No comments: