June 14, 2005

Ceremonies, Ferocious Beasts and Reporters

I haven't been able to post as I would like because, well, things have been slightly crazy around here. Not necessarily a bad thing just busy as hell. With the end of baseball season approaching less than a week away and boyscouts ending their run until school starts I have been and will be attending more closing ceremonies than I can take. I have figured one thing out from all of this though. These people have absolutely no clue as to what the hell they are doing. I swear, you would think I had joined in their first year or something. The boyscouts ceremony was scheduled on the same day as my teams double header but it was timed to start an hour and a half before the first game. I figure, no biggie, we can head to the ceremony pick up his awards and patches then head to the game. Why on earth would I think it would be so simple? I should know by now it wont be that easy. The ceremony itself didn't even start until 15 minutes before we had to leave. Thank goodness they got to my sons award just as we were preparing to get up and head to the game. Of course they were missing some of his patches, we have gotten used to this by now. One day we will sit down and create an organizational system for them, just not today.
Baseball season is about over, we have one more game left. Well, two but the second doesn't count. Why a second game that doesn't count? Because a second game that counts would make way to much sense and be easy. Are you seeing a pattern here or is it just me? On a good note, I got their trophies ordered today and will have them in time for closing ceremonies on Saturday. Man, I probably shouldn't have said that because the trophy situation has gone way to easy and I may have just jinxed it.
I have a crazy habit of talking to my animals. Well, I don't find it crazy and few of my friends get it but most people think its crazy. Anyway, whenever I wrestle around with my cats I have told them they are ferocious beasts, little descendants of the lion. I know, weird...Cant help it. I find it funny, and its my house so I can do that. Well I think they have taken me seriously. This week I have saved my cat from the perilous clutches of my roof....
Twice
I must say I am proud of myself. I only almost killed an ump once this week. Hey, its a record for me and I'll take what I can get.
On a new record though I almost ate a reporter for the local paper. It was his fault, I swear. Just a big P.S. for anyone out there that might not have the common sense to know better. Do not, I repeat, do NOT hide in a corner with a camera taking pictures of my son while he is playing with other children then approach me asking for the child's name. Good way to get eaten. Hasn't he heard I'm crazy? Someone really should have warned him. He knows now. I must take a moment to explain this one though, cause I swear it was his fault. No, really. I'm coaching the game, because our coach cant read a schedule and didn't know we had a game that night, and my son is up to bat. The kids in the dugout are acting up so I turn to tell them to behave. One of my parents approaches the fence and tells me she thought she saw some man standing on the other side of field taking a lot of pictures of my son. I turn to look but don't see anyone and the kids are taking complete advantage of my lack of attention to them and act up even more. I turn back around and begin to get them settled and the parent tells me she had never seen him before. I figure I will keep a close eye out, we are a small town and everyone knows everyone around here. Two batters later we are switching to go to the outfield and I am instructing the kids as to what position to take on the field. Next thing I know there is a man standing beside me with a camera around his neck, never seen him before. He does not introduce himself, does not say hello, no courtesies at all. The only thing he says is "Hey, do you know that kids name? The one wearing number (my sons number) jersey." Of course I want to know why he is asking. He still does not tell me he is with the paper, his reply was "I would like to know how to spell it." He immediately found himself up against the fence, me in front of him and a row of bats within my reach. The inquisition had begun. It wasn't until after that he told me he was with the paper, a reporter. Well hell, how was I supposed to know? The only thought in my head was "pervert". I know I'm a nut, hell I'm even ok with it. But I still think he should have told someone he was there so he didn't look like a pervert lurking in the corner of the field taking pictures of my kids. Anyway, I didn't eat him, I didn't even hit him with a bat. I did good :)

1 comment:

Justice said...

"These people have absolutely no clue as to what the hell they are doing."

It is a virus. It is spreading rapidly. It has already reached epidemic proportions. The only means of avoiding infection are to stick your fingers in your ears and repeatedly yell "LA LA LA LA" anytime an infected person opens their mouth around you.

As for talking to the cats... if we don't talk to them, how else will we discover it was all really the dogs fault? Geez.

The reporter: In this day, people really should have more sense than that. A simple, "Hey, I'm Idiot Boy from Employing Tards Daily Journal. I'd like to photograph some of your kids for...." could have saved him an ass-whoopin'. See, it's a virus, I tell ya.