June 05, 2005

That's what little boys are made of

My children are pretty far apart in age, my oldest is 16 and the youngest is 7. There are several times I have thought my youngest should have had a sibling closer in age to himself. Life would have been easier. Someone to play with all the time, talk to, he wouldn't be bored. Well this weekend we have had a little boy stay with us all weekend. He is just a year older than my son so they have been playing pretty well. Of course, as I have learned, there are the boyish squabbles but overall it has been good for the both of them. It is me that I have found wouldn't have been able to handle having two boys so close in age. Boys are so very different from little girls! I thought I had already learned that, I had more to learn.
When little girls have sleep overs they tend to lock themselves away in their bedroom giggling over God knows what. Playing with barbies, makeup, clothes; all the little girly stuff. They don't come out much except for the occasional fashion show that you must watch or for the "I'm hungry" breaks. Little boys, on the other hand, do NOT lock themselves away anywhere! They run through everywhere holding epic battles anywhere they can wield their make shift swords. They will only be satisfied playing with something as long as it isn't in intervals that last longer than 15 minutes. Then they will run to the next thing making sounds along the way that resemble what must have been war cries in ancient times. They are not quiet, they do not giggle and they are not still. As a woman I am completely lost in this testosterone ravaged territory. Don't get me wrong, I have completely enjoyed having this little boy over and we will have him over several times more. I am just learning here.
I am learning they wear me out!

3 comments:

Justice said...

That's so funny. With a boy and girl close in age, I see a little "balance" in their play, but sometimes they are all-boy playing, and it looks a lot like your entry sounds!

Ravyn said...

LOL yep, it was 100% boy around here this past weekend

Anonymous said...

Thanks so very much for taking your time to create your blog. Excellent work