May 25, 2005

Yet another Kitty adventure

Sunday, after taking our company to the airport we spent the day lazing around. By 6pm I was in pajamas curled up on the sofa with Hubby watching TV. Around 8 it was starting to get dark so I went to call the cats inside. All of them showed up except one. I figured he was just running off somewhere playing and wasn't to concerned. He would be back soon and I would just keep an eye out for him at the back door. Around 8:30 he hadn't come back so I was beginning to get worried. I went back outside to call him. I thought I heard him crying but the door was still open to the house and the noise from the TV made it hard to hear. I came to shut the door and told my husband to put his shoes on I think something is wrong. Shutting the door I went back outside to call and listen for the direction of his cries. It sounded like it was coming from the side of the house so I jumped the fence and followed the sounds. Once I got around the side the cries became more frantic and I noticed the neighbors cat sitting on top of my car. As I started towards him he took off and I realized the cries were coming from above me. Looking up I found my missing cat sitting about 20 feet up a pine tree. He was stuck. About this time my husband came outside and saw what was going on. We both tried calling to him but he wasn't budging. You know me, that's my baby and he is stuck, the only logical thing to do is go up after him. My husband looked at me like I had lost my mind and reminded me that I was only wearing a t-shirt. "Shit, ok I'm going to go throw some clothes on. I will be right back, you stay right here with him." I said.
I guess he realized there was no use in trying to talk me out of this so as I went inside to change he began up the tree. When I came out he was about 15 feet up trying to get my cat. I'm freaking out yelling for him to come down and let me go but of course he isn't listening. The particular tree that my cat had chosen as his sanctuary was not a very sturdy one, about as big around as my thigh and my husband is no little guy. I just knew this tree was going to come down with him in it.
Anyway, we were not successful in saving my cat and I did not sleep well that night knowing I was in my nice comfy bed while he was stuck in a tree. My husband was convinced that he would come down by morning, he is a cat and cats can climb. I tried to explain to him that I knew my cat and he wasn't going to come down, this one isn't a climber. Of course he thought I was nuts. Come the next morning, guess what? My cat was still in the tree. My older cat was sitting under it and had been all night as if he was keeping guard.
I spent about an hour trying to talk him down which resulted in him doing a lot of crying, me being very worried and to top it off.......He peed on me. I suppose that was payback for leaving him up there all night.
After a lot of phone calls I found someone with a 20 foot ladder and Justice was kind enough to lend her truck and assistance and we finally saved my baby.
It's never a dull moment around here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic story! I mean I think a lot of people can relate. I know I can. We had a party for my son and someone left the door open and my house cat got out. I was worried to no end and stayed outside longer than I should have. I wanted him back. He eventually did, but it still scared the crap out of me!