May 07, 2005

Embarrassed? I dont think so

I am not really sure why a lot of women are embarrassed by it. For me it is something I am proud of, being a stay at home mom. Anyone who has dabbled at the job knows it has absolutely nothing to do with laziness. I remember a conversation with my dad over the Christmas holidays. He was saying that if I had a job we would bring in more money which in turn would allow us to visit more. My husband makes decent money, our bills are paid and there is some left over. Sometimes it is tight but we don't go without. I don't mind working and have for many years but when we got to the point where my income wasn't necessary to run the house we made the joint decision for me to stay home. We wanted one of us with our kids, we didn't have them for someone else to raise. There was even a point in time where I worked and my husband stayed home with them. What sparked this post was this article. There isn't a price you could put on staying at home with your kids. They also forgot the job description of psychologist. Anyone who has a teenager knows that particular job description is a must. I guess my point is how could anyone possibly think that the raising of the next generation, the ones who will eventually care for us, be something to be embarrassed about? What I think is something to be embarrassed about is if you have the opportunity and are staying home with your children and not paying attention to them. That should embarrass you, not raising them.
I like the idea of being paid a ton of money to stay home and raise my kids but to be honest there isn't any amount that would make it worth while. There isn't any dollar amount that you could offer me that would make it rewarding or even desirable. It already is all of those things but because I see it in my children's eyes everyday not because I am being paid. The value of my children's happiness, physical and mental health, their smiles, their trust....I cant put a price on that. Their is nothing wrong with a woman having a career but there is also nothing wrong with the woman's career being her children.

3 comments:

prying1 said...

Great post - Keep up the good work and the world will be a better place as a result. - Happy Moms Day -

Anonymous said...

How about if you were offered a hundred million, kajillion, billion dollars...would you do it then? huh huh, would ya? LOL

Ravyn said...

well, a hundred million, kajillion billion is alot of money. hmmmm to stay home and keep doing what im doing? ok i'll take it :)