May 29, 2005

We have enough weirdos, thank you

Due to us living in the heart of the bible belt and the fact that my daughter has made the decision that she does not wish to be open regarding her beliefs, there are very few people aside from close friends who know my religious beliefs and practices. Not really a big issue for me, I respect my daughters privacy and there really isn't anyone I wish to tell about my beliefs. The people who matter to me already know. Although there are certain circumstances that arise on occasion where I would really love to open my mouth. One of which occurred yesterday.
My son had a baseball game and arriving early as we usually do I was sitting on the bleachers grabbing a bite to eat before I had to get in the dugout with the kids. As I was sitting there other parents moved to my area of the bleachers to discuss different things related to the team. I really do enjoy most of the parents we have but there are a few that just shouldn't be allowed to breed. Of course those are the few who chose to stay in my area after the conversations were over. I couldn't help but overhear what two in particular were discussing. One of them, lets call her J, had brought some books with her and was sharing them with another woman, we will call C. One of the books had something to do with "How psychic are you?" and they were discussing the "special" powers some people have. J began explaining that psychic abilities were something that everyone had but she found she was particularly gifted in that area, an old witch had told her so. It was because of that she was researching all of her special abilities. She then asked to see C's palm and told her she could feel what had happened in her life. She told her she had experienced a life of poverty (no shit, C lives in a trailer park and announces that regularly), she wasn't going to have any more children (God i hope not she has 5 and she is only 24), she was still searching for her one true love (imagine that, 5 children, 5 different fathers something she also announces regularly). Then J began informing her that C should check out the other book she had brought because there were ancient spells in there to help her find her one true love and bring him to her. At this point I realize that my entire body is beginning to convulse and I must leave the vicinity before I begin shouting at the ignorance. It was then that I heard the last I could hear before losing control of myself. J informed C that this particular book contained ancient secrets dating back to before Stonehenge. As my eyes began to roll back into my head and spittle began to run out of my mouth I steadied my convulsing body enough to stand and ran to the dugout. I so wanted to straighten things out. There was also a part of me that wanted to say "Pick a different belief system we have enough weirdos thank you.". I know mean, but damn do we really need anymore? I also wanted desperately to inform them that spells were not the religion just like praying wasn't the total of Christianity. And that spells were not the way to solve all of your earthly problems especially not your love issues. I have found though, that most people want an easy way out. They don't really want to deal with their own psychological issues so they think a spell will cure them. One day, one day I will straighten it all out.

3 comments:

Justice said...

I sat on this one for a while before I could respond. That situation is frustrating, sad, and scary all at once. But it is a rare occasion I am able to open my mouth. I think my silence comes somewhat from my idea that the sincere will find their way, but more so from my aversion to the kind of responsibility which inevitably follows my initial response, which has been, "Don't mess with things you don't understand, and don't assume (so and so) understands." I learned the hard way that opens me up to a lot of questions - some I know or don't know the answer, but none of which I want to answer.

I think back to the time I began in earnest, and I see the wounds I have healed. I want to round up all those like me and say, "you don't have to feel/be this way," but I don't even try, really. It takes so much more effort than most are willing to give, and it is so much more painful than people want to suffer. I liken it to a broken leg. When you go to the doctor, the doctor gives you pain pills to minimize your discomfort throughout the healing process. But this route, for mental, emotional, and spiritual healing, would only be countered by such assistance. The only methods for comfort which are not counterproductive are those we have all long been programmed to avoid - just sitting still and letting such powerful emotions run their course comes to mind. There is no hell like one's own personal, and I wouldn't send my worst enemy through it. But I wrote all that to write this: I have seen some amazing and horrible things along my own journey through "mysticism," if you will. I have seen enough to know there is absolute irony in how humans perceive potential outcomes - in a cause and effect perspective - and then in how things actually play out. And, (this is a spectacular AND) if a broken or wounded person (by that, I mean unhealed, which is almost ALWAYS the barrier to reaching their dream) casts a spell to meet their match, well, spirit help them if it works.

That's all I know.

Unknown said...

some people just need to believe so bad i guess.

Ravyn said...

Justice- I know exactly what you mean. I dont think anyone can completely prepare you for that kind of healing.
Kate - You hit the nail right on the head, there isnt much difference between the two. Unfortunatly most people see our belief system and think spells are the totality of it.
Habitual - yes they do. Unfortunatly desperation can cause people to mess with things they dont understand resulting in alot of pain.