May 15, 2005

The Perfect Night

I had gotten up early to get started on yard work seen as it was supposed to rain that afternoon. My husband wasn't real thrilled about waking up that early but he knew we had things to get done. My husband took our daughter to work while I got started and when he returned he headed out to do his part. We spent the better part of the day out there, working in the yard. Once we were finished with the yard work we spent some time sitting on the back porch admiring our work and enjoying the cool breeze.
Around 5pm we were on the couch, drained from working in the sun all day. Realizing there was no way we could go down for a nap (kids, ya know) we decided we needed to do something to wake ourselves up. The next thing I know hubby is putting his shoes on.
"Where are you going?" I asked him.
"Outside, it's nice." He replied, and walked out the door. He was only out there a few moments before returning and telling me to put my shoes on.
"Why? I'm comfortable."
"Because it's pretty outside and the cool breeze will help you wake up." Was his answer. I really did not want to get off of the sofa, I wanted to be lazy and was secretly hoping my husband would take pity on my exhaustion and tell me to go take a nap, he would stay up with the kids. But, I got up and put my shoes on. We walked through the yard talking about the different trees and looking at what was blooming. On the back of our property we have an area that has never been cleared out. A long time ago we had cleared way for a path and cleared a small area for me to have rituals in. It was perfect, it gave me privacy with all of the growth completely surrounding me. As we were heading to the back area my husband pointed out that the path we had cut out was still there, surprising since I hadn't been back there since Yule. He suggested we go and see how the circle had faired and since I was already intrigued at the path still existing, I agreed. Once we were down the path we rounded the corner to the clearing and I saw a chair. Wondering what that was doing back there I picked up my step and saw the most amazing site. There was not one chair, there were two; in between them was a vase of flowers, the fire pit had been re-dug and the stones swept off. My altar had been set with my Goddess candle lit on it and there had been fire wood carried out and placed beside the fire pit. On one of the chairs was a card. "what is all of this?" I asked, extremely shocked. My family has never been able to pull a surprise on me.
"Well, tomorrow is our anniversary and I have to work and we are so broke we cant go do anything but I wanted to do something for you."
I was stunned. I hadn't expected anything. This may seem silly to most of you, but this was the best thing in the world. Most people, my husband included, seem to think that in order to do something for a special occasion it must be extravagant. But that's not me. Spending a lot of money means nothing to me, time and effort means everything. Something personal, something done with love, nothing makes me happier than that. So we sat out there and built our fire up and cuddled. Something I thought was really cool was when we were getting our little branches to make kindling my husband would say "bless you little tree". My husband doesn't practice the same way I do, but he knows this is important to me so he did what he could to be respectful of nature. That alone brought tears to my eyes. He also took that opportunity to teach our son respect for nature. We decided to sit out there and roast hotdogs over the fire and I have to tell you that was the best dinner I have ever eaten. No it wasn't fancy, I don't even like hotdogs normally. It wasn't extravagant, it didn't cost anything but it meant everything. Not only does he love and adore me, he "gets" me. I am the luckiest woman in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you were "had" in a most beautiful way. What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing.