May 07, 2005

Don't mess with the hair Part 1

The phone call came in the morning requesting my presence as soon as possible. I hadn't even showered, the kids had only left for school a short while and I was trying to enjoy coffee and some quiet time. Downing the rest of my coffee and unsure as to whether I was irritated at the loss of my quiet time I headed to the shower. I got dressed and headed to the school wondering why it was I had been summoned to the principals office. I found it very irritating that whenever this happens a part of me drops right back down to 13 years old and filled with dread over being sent to the principal. Upon reaching the school I shake off the dread and remember that he cant call my parents because I am the parent. That feels a little better so lets get this over with. I walk in the office to find my 13 yr old daughter sitting in the chair waiting for me to arrive. "You want to give me a heads up as to what I am about to hear in there?" I ask her.
"You remember that boy on the bus I have told you about? The one who always walks by and hits me on the head?" She says
"Uh-huh"
"Well yesterday my hair was looking really good mom and he came by and I told him not to touch me and he just smacked me in the head again."
"Ok" was all I could say.
"Well I'm tired of it so I got up and hit him back."
"Ok, so why are we here?" I ask
"Because they are kicking me off of the bus because I hit him."
Now I'm thinking no way in hell they are kicking my kid off of the bus because she defended herself. Granted her reasons might have been a little off but the rights activist in me is screaming NO WAY!
We get in the principals office and he proceeds to recount a similar story to hers and says she is being suspended from the bus for 2 weeks. "I don't think so" I say. He looks at me like I am nuts and quickly informs me that I don't have any say in this, its a school matter and they don't encourage fighting. First mistake, don't tell me I don't have any say. I know it isn't mature and I cant help it but I will drop right back down to that rebellious teenager and we're going to fight.
"So you mean to tell me your going to kick my kid off of the bus for defending herself? This boy has consistently walked by and smacked her for weeks, nobody has done shit about it and when she finally takes it upon herself to do the job that you and your staff were obviously incompetent of doing you are going to punish her?!" I'm on a roll here, somebody stop me!
He looks at me as if I have lost my mind and tells me that it didn't happen that way at all. That she shouldn't have handled the situation the way she did. At this point I am demanding to see the tape, I know they have tapes on the school busses now and I want to see it.
After a couple of calls and the bus driver being conveniently close we are able to retrieve it and I'm thinking I want some popcorn cause this is going to be good.
I see the boy walk up to her, she speaks to him and he smiles and smacks her in the head as he is walking past. All of her nicely done hair flies around. You see her sit there for a moment and push the hair out of her face. Then I see this child that I gave birth to, this sweet child, jump up onto the seat and fly across two more seats, tackling this child to the floor of the bus and proceed to knocking the shit out of him. Now I'm torn here, there is a part of me thinking this is not good, and then there is the other part of me screaming "that's my girl!".

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah!! that boy deserve a beating! :D

Justice said...

I just can't figure out what she did wrong.

Justice said...

Happy Mother's Day!

prying1 said...

So then what happened.

I'm all wrapped up in you and your daughters life now and I have to find out the outcome. Gosh. This is better than the soaps.

I remember a similar situation in my high school days. I was suspended for fighting. The other guy took a punch at me. I ended up holding him as he struggled to get away till a teacher broke it up. We were both suspended and I was thrilled because I could stay home and read what books I wanted to instead of reading what the wanted me to.

prying1 said...

"They" wanted me to. - I hate proof reading after I push the button. I always find errors. - GBYAY - :-)

Anonymous said...

Your description is classic. I felt like I was watching the tape. Seeing your girl get hit, collect herself then go get her a piece o butt!

While I would say, sure she COULD have handled it different, she had in previous attempts and hey, poke someone enough times, they are going to poke back.

Did he mention the boy being kicked off or is that in Part II?

Dan

PS. Please do not follow the George Lucas schedule for releasing squeals. I'd love to know what happened prior to 2010.

Ravyn said...

LOL thank you all for your comments! I'm sorry it took me a couple of days to get things up but we have been running crazy with the boy's ballgames and i just havnt been here to get it done. We have many good "school" stories to share, this is only the beginning.