April 11, 2005

It takes a Child

It was the first warm day of the year, the weatherman predicted it was going to hit 80 degrees. Woman and child were driving down the road heading to the ball field. The windows down, bopping their heads as Bob Seger sang about why he cant drive 55. It would be the first game of the season and they were both looking forward to getting there. Coming to a stop at the light waiting for it to turn green she glanced at the vehicle next to her. A new F150 4 door, she has dreamed of owning one of those. Sighing, she said "Boy that sure would be nice." Her son, being so innocent looked up and said "I guess." The light turned green and they proceeded on their way to the ball field. Only a few moments had passed when the boy reached over and turned the radio down "Mom?"
"Yes?" she answered.
"Is it true that there are some people out there who cant afford a car at all?" he asked
"Well yes baby, that's true." She replied
"And some people cant buy food?" he asked
"Yes, unfortunately their are people who go hungry everyday in this world."
They were both quiet for the remainder of the ride. The radio still turned down she wondered what that was all about. When they reached the ball field she began to get her stuff out of the back seat and noticed he wasn't getting out of the car.
"Mom" he said. "I don't want us to get a new car."
"You don't?" was all she could say.
"No" he said. "If there are people who are hungry and cant have a car them I'm just happy we have food and a car that works. I think that's how I should be."
With that he got out of the car and ran, talking with his friends, to the ball field. She couldn't move, keys still in her hand, stuff in the backseat, door open. She was stunned. She only watched him and felt the tears roll down her face. He was right.
There was a time when she believed she would never own her own home, she didn't know how bills would get paid, it was a constant struggle. I own a home I love, on land I adore, with 2 amazing kids, a wonderful husband, my car runs, we have food and the bills are paid. I don't want more, I don't need more, I'm happy.
Sometimes it takes a child to show you that.

2 comments:

Justice said...

That is precious.

Ravyn said...

Thank you, it's funny how little ones can see things so much more clearly sometimes.