April 22, 2005

It drops off flat at the state line!

I happen to live in a really small town about 22 miles outside of a major city. It's a whole different world out here in the sticks. We chose this place, intentionally, to give our children a safer place to grow up. Having been born and raised in very large cities all over the world I wasn't happy with the quality of life my children were reduced to due to the crime. We still have crime here but no where near what it was where I was from. Although I am happy with our choice of location the small town politics often make me laugh. They seem to fight over the silliest things. Not to mention priorities in crazy places.
The newest fight in our little community is whether or not to allow liquor by the drink. Yes, there are still places that don't allow it. Call me naive but I didn't think that existed aside from in the 80's movie "Footloose". Because we don't allow this in our town there are no choices of restaurants to eat at. We have a McDonald's, Hardee's, and a Ponderosa. Not much pickin's around here. But all of the locals here head to the next town over to have dinner because they have real choices to choose from, hence serve liquor by the drink.
The reason this bill is being opposed is because the local churches believe this is against God, they are actually calling it a "sin tax". I had to giggle. Didn't Jesus turn water to wine? I mean I may be mistaken here but I thought that's what happened. They say it will ruin the moral values of our community. On that argument I had tears streaming down my face from laughing so hard.
Moral values?! The high school is so over run with pregnant teenagers or teenagers who have had babies they could install a daycare. I have yet to meet a couple from this area who are faithful to eachother, hell I would settle for one who atleast weren't abusive to each other. That seems to be standard issue around here. Not to mention the number of children who are married by the time they are 16. Morals? I think they need to start that at home maybe focusing on the real issues in this community. The city council actually have a good plan as to how they will use the tax from the sale of liquor by the drink to better this community. They want some sex awareness classes for the kids, spousal abuse programs, a battered women and children's shelter. OMG! They want to make the community better? Well we better nip that in the bud, damn it!
It is really sad for the children who are born and raised here. I love this little community, yes it has its good points. But the ones who are from here seem to think the world drops off at the state line and this is all there is. I'm thankful my kids know about the world out there and I encourage them to go get it. I just wish we could get that message out to those native here. I wish we could get the babbling idiots who are so gung ho to save the moral values of our little community to wake up and actually do some good around here.

3 comments:

Justice said...

"You're kidding me!"

"Nu-uh!"

"Are you serious?"

Those are the usual comments I get when talking about the goings-on around here to people I know in other states.

Lving here, I do a lot of open-mouth and blinking eyes, or head scratching.

Art Hornbie said...

Just discovered your blog. Thought I'd let you know that I'll be lurking for a while.

Well written. Good content. Great job.

Ravyn said...

Thank you! Pull up a chair and enjoy!