September 01, 2005

Never a dull moment

Sometimes things happen that lead you to believe that there is a plan. Things were just way to coincidental for there not to be. Yesterday started out as a pretty decent day. Justice and I went shopping most of the day, something we rarely get to do, and had a blast. My sister's birthday is Friday and I am hosting a party for her so when Hubby got home I had to go back out to pick up more supplies. As luck would have it I had to go to Walmart. We all know my feelings on Walmart so I wont go back into that now. Anyway, I had already had such a wonderful day I really didn't mind.
Of course, that was to change. I believe that stupid people breed way to much. I also believe they get together and pick a person to barrage with ignorance each day. Yesterday happened to be my lucky day. It began at the deli counter. The little old man who works behind the counter is such a sweet man, always smiling and friendly. He also happens to be black. There was a woman (a white woman) at the counter ordering something and decided to have a conversation with him. Being as friendly as he always has been he was happy to talk with her while he worked. She took it upon herself to inform him that she and her husband were looking into adopting another child and this time she had requested one with "darker skin" because she preferred them that way. Then went into telling him how her husbands mom, somewhere back in the lineage, was mixed with something. They didn't know what but it was "very obvious she isn't completely white" and they thought a darker skinned child would make her feel not so left out being not all white and all. As my body involuntarily began to shake and my head began to twitch I did my best to leave the area of the deli so I wouldn't have to smack her. The extent of the conversation seemed to be that she was letting him know it was ok that he was black. Like he needed her permission!!! Mr. Deli man, let me address you now. On behalf of the "lighter" race, I am sorry. We aren't all idiots nor do we all feel that you need to be excused for your skin color.
At the checkout, to my surprise, I had fallen in line behind BillyBob Redneck. I suppose having been exposed to his kin for the last 5 years I should have recognized him but in my neck twitching aneurysm I wasn't seeing clearly. He was by himself, which always spells disaster since he cant be happy not sharing his ignorance with someone. He spun around and informed me, in his loud booming voice, that "all those damn looters down there in New Orleans need to be shot. I think we should just shoot them all." I just stared at him. Don't respond, don't respond he will only speak again if you do. Since he received no response from me he turned to the man in front of him to try again with the same remark. My daughter quietly said to me "Yea, the looting does suck." I told her "Yes, the looting of TV's and peoples houses is horrible. But most people are looting food, diapers, formula. They have to eat and feed their children. They aren't doing anything I wouldn't do if I had no way to feed you." She got that. Seen as the man in front of him had paid for his items and left BillyBob turned back to attempt conversation with me. "I think looters are one step below child molesters. If I had a choice to save a looter or a child molester I'd probably save the child molester. I would kick him in the balls but I would save him." I could hold my tongue no longer. I had to inform him that this conversation needed to stop or he wasn't going to like where it was going to go. Stop talking to me!!!!!!!
BillyBob left. My turn to pay for my things, almost out of this God forsaken hell whole of stupidity. There are two men behind me, standing so close I can feel someone's breath on my arm. I write a check for my items and the cashier asks for my phone number. I give it to her, I hear the idiot behind me repeating it to his friend. Now, I have been bombarded with idiots since I have walked in this place. I'm feeling a bit like a wild animal who has been cornered. I turn around and get just as far from his face as he was from my arm and say "WHAT?!"
"Why do you want my number? Are you too going to bombard me with stupidity? If there is something you think you may just need to call and tell me say it now." They apologized, I paid and left. Of course, as I was leaving I had to find my daughter who had turned and bolted the second I spun around to speak with idiot #3. She cant let people know she's really related to me.

No comments: