March 12, 2006

Strange

It's been 7 years since we moved here to Mayberry. I have never regretted the decision, I really love it here. In those 7 years I have only been back home twice. Once to take care of my grandfather who was dieing and the second I was guilt ridden into. I know it probably sounds awful but in that time I have never had a bout of homesickness. I really don't see much to miss, the crime, the people; nope not much. Sure, most of my family is there and as much as I love them, they are crazy. A lot of people probably say that about their family but mine really is. Between the drunks and the drug addicts they aren't the kind of people you want your kids hanging around. It's kind of sad really but a necessity to maintain my sanity.
There is a portion of my family that I didn't see very often, only holidays, that I really enjoyed. Imagine my surprise when I opened my email this morning and found pictures from my mother of my Great Aunt's 90th birthday party. I have always liked her, she is such a neat lady. The surprise was the emotion I felt, homesick. I hate that I wasn't there to see her, I really miss her. I am shocked and surprised to find myself considering a trip back there for Thanksgiving just to see that side of the family. I would really like to do that. If there were some way to make that trip and see them without having to deal with the extremely disfunctional side of the family I will do it. It's just figuring out the second part. Forgive me, not a very eventful post, just dealing with a new emotion here. I'm not used to this.

No comments: