December 28, 2005

Out of the mouthes of babes

I have said for a long time that Mother Nature has a sick sense of humor. It is only recently I have discovered the whole damn universe is getting its kicks at my expense. As if Mother Nature's little jokes aren't enough. You know what it is I am talking about....Age
As we get older Mother Nature finds it humorous to "adjust" body parts, putting them in locations they have never been before. Then the medical community jumps on the band wagon and decides to see just how many orifices they can probe the older you get. No, they do not stop there. They take the body parts Mother Nature has repositioned and stretch them, pull them, smash them. Yes, they are now elastic.
As a woman I am accustomed to the medical community reeking havoc on my body to see how much it can take before cracking. Hell, childbirth alone requires procedures that no human should have to experience while already having that much natural pain. One word for you...Enema.
It creates shudders around the world.

My husband on the other hand hasn't had the pleasure of the medical community probes...Until now. Reaching the age where they gently ease you into the exams they will be continuously performing until you die, it has begun.
This story really isn't about his "procedure", more so the conversation that occurred with our daughter the night before.
I had to call her and confirm that she didn't have to work in the morning seen as I had to bring my husband to the hospital by 5:30am and we still have a 8 yr old to take care of. She confirmed she would be here to watch him and asked if her dad was ok....
Me: "Daddy's fine, its a routine procedure to make sure everything is ok"
Her: "Why wouldn't everything be ok?"
Me: "Well, as you get older they start doing all kinds of tests just to be sure."
Her: "What are they doing?"
Me: "It's called a colonoscopy."
Her: "I thought you only had that if there was a problem."
Me: "Nope, they also do it for preventive measures."
Her: "Mom, if this is for E.D. you can tell me. I'm just worried and need to know if something is wrong."
Me: "Nothing is wrong baby, promise. E.D.?"
Her: "Is that what it is? E.D.? You can tell me if it is."
Me: "E.D.? What is Ed?"
Her: "Not Ed mom, E.D. You know..."
Me: "No, I don't"
Her: "Erectile Dysfunction"
Me: "OH MY GOD!!! You did not just ask me that. No, your father is not having problems in that area. It's looking at his colon, his butt not his front!"

At this point my husband is hearing only my side of the conversation and is appalled. He is yelling "We are not having a conversation about my penis with our daughter!! Hell, I'm not that old yet anyway!" He is attempting to leave the room but is continuously drawn back which results in him pacing back and forth from the kitchen. I am laughing so hard there are tears.
I have decided my daughter watches to much television seen as this is where she seems to have learned the term. She is also aware of several forms of medication to correct that problem. What the hell are they putting on TV these days anyway??!!
The point of this story? Do not jump on the bandwagon with the rest of the universe and make fun of your parents as they are getting old. You too will have these experiences.

No comments: