December 17, 2005

The lesson

The cats have out done themselves. This truly takes the cake. Being the majority in my house they even have the dog trained. Being the stupid human that I am, I always assumed there was some sense of family or pack mentality amongst them. With the dog protecting the cats from other animals and the cats snuggling on the dogs bed with her. It wasn't until the other day that I realized what is truly going on.
One of our cats, Valkyrie, caught a mouse. It was her first catch so she wasn't really sure what to do with it. She played taxi to the mouse for a little while carting it room to room, then did the usual let it go to catch it again. The other cats were paying very close attention to this game. I only have one mouser in my house and he has self retired from the business so this is all new to the rest of them. One of the other cats, Anubis, happened to get lucky on one of

Valkyrie's releases and was able to steal the mouse from her. He then followed
her lead and taxied it room to room for a little while before playing the "let it go and catch it again" game. Once again the other cats are watching.....But so is the dog, Megan.
Megan decides to get up and see what was going on, atleast that's what I thought she was doing. Little did I know she wanted her turn. She followed the cats around and the next thing I know, on one of the cats releases, she grabs the mouse. She carries the mouse room to room and then releases it to catch it again. The end result? The dog killed the mouse with her paws, trying to play with it. As strange as this is it doesn't seem to be a one time deal.
Last night as hubby and I were preparing for bed, Megan brought us another one. It seems I have another mouser, a 75 pound mouser.
The cats? Well, they are continuing to lounge their fat little selves around the house while the dog does all the leg work.

2 comments:

Justice said...

It is so funny to watch different species influence others. Our cat "Elvis" taught Bug how to stalk her big sister!

Patty said...

*giggle* I wouldn't worry to much unless the dog starts running in when you call "kitty kitty"