July 03, 2005

A pleasant surprise

About a month ago we were contacted by a local boxer rescue league. We are friends with many animal lovers and activists and have a wonderful relationship with our local vet. Somewhere in those relationships the rescue league had heard our name and history with our animals so they contacted us to see if maybe we could help them. We discussed it and decided the way that would be best for us would be to volunteer as a foster home. When Bandito passed away we hadn't given any thought to us being registered with the rescue league, that was furthest from our minds. Had we thought about it we would have contacted them and said take us off the list for a little while, we need some time.
I received a phone call from the director informing me they had a 1 yr old female that needed to get into foster ASAP. She was sick, due for surgery and the vet wouldn't be able to board her over the weekend. They didn't have any other foster homes available at the moment. It was a difficult decision, we are all still so sad over our own loss. I wasn't sure how I would react much less the rest of my family having her in our home so soon after our loss. Especially seen as her coloring was identical to Bandito's. I was worried but felt as if I couldn't let this little girl down, I had made a commitment and it wasn't her fault I had been absentminded in contacting the league. So I agreed.
Her name is Meg and she is absolutely precious. The fears that I had were completely unfounded. I was really surprised to find my family viewed the situation the same as I do. Bandito was such a good dog and took such wonderful care of us for so long, this is kind of our way of being able to continue to give back. Meg was kept outside and never shown any attention. She has a skin condition from birth that has never been treated. The family that owned her didn't want to deal with it and because of it never pet her, loved her. They ignored her. She is so starved for affection which we have been more than happy to give to her. Because she hasn't really had any human contact she is short in the manners section. We have been working with her and after only 2 days she has come so far. She enjoys us teaching her and just seems to soak in any and all attention we can give to her. She really is very bright, she has learned so many commands in such a short time. Hell, she has only had 1 accident in the house and she has never been inside a house before. I am glad we never thought to call the rescue and pull off of the list. We would have missed this wonderful opportunity and this precious animal.
She needs love and we needed to give it. It's going to work out just fine.

1 comment:

Justice said...

That is good news! :-)