February 03, 2006

Embracing my stupidity

I have been aware, ever since my daughter was old enough to have an opinion, that I am an idiot. My husband and I have accepted our role as idiot in our daughters life. What I wasn't prepared for was when we bought her a vehicle our status would deteriorate instantly. We are no longer idiots, we are down right retarded. At this point I should probably be grateful for the days that I am capable of tying my shoes and not drooling on myself. I'm not sure how she justifies our standing in her mind especially seen as we were apparently successfully at raising and incredibly intelligent child.
Our child has gotten herself into a bit of trouble and lost her driving privileges to and from school. After school we allow her to take her car to work or if she wants to go somewhere that's fine but she isn't allowed to drive back and forth to school. I know, sounds odd but I assure you it is for a reason that I wont go into here. Being the sympathetic mother that I try to be, I decide to be nice and drive her to school rather than make her face the humiliation of the bus. It was that day that I realized the deterioration of my standing in her eyes.
We had gotten into the car preparing to leave for school...
"Don't drive yet." My child says, very matter-of-factly.
"Why not?" I ask
"The car isn't warm yet," She says.
"I came out here 5 minutes ago and warmed it up (insert name)," I replied proceeding to give the car a little gas.
"Stop, don't do that!" she screams.
"don't do what?" I ask.
"don't give it gas like that, its not good for the car." rolling her eyes, letting me know how stupid I am.
"You do realize this is the pedal you press to drive, right?" I'm getting slightly sarcastic now.
"The car isn't warm, just wait for it to be ready to drive," is her response.
"Child, I have been driving longer than you have been breathing." can you tell I am irritated?
"And how many cars have you had break down on you?" she's getting very brave now.
"Actually none. And just to be sure we don't have this problem anymore make sure your alarm is set early tomorrow because your riding the bus." I say.
"Mom, no!" she is clearly not liking this idea.
"Embrace the bus (insert child's name). Feel the bus, become one with the bus." was all I had to say.
Needless to say, the rest of our trip was spent in silence. I am now not only the dumbest woman on the planet but I am also evil.

No comments: