August 23, 2005

Supreme Court Ruling

As I was getting the children ready for school this morning I was watching the Today Show. They did a piece on a supreme court ruling that I haven't heard about anywhere else. It was saying that the supreme court has ruled in favor of a law holding stores liable and able to be sued in drunk driving cases if they sell gas to customers who are intoxicated. I have been thinking about this quite a bit and am really confused as to how that will work. I mean, I get the idea and think where they are trying to take this is a good idea, I'm just not really sure how realistic that is.
I don't know about you but the majority of the time that I go to the gas station I don't even go inside. I normally pay at the pump unless I happen to need something from the store. How is that going to work? If the person pays at the pump the cashier never had face to face contact and probably wasn't even aware they had been drinking. Are we going to have breathalizers at the pump now? I think the idea is good and we need to do everything we can to get people to stop drinking and driving but I just don't see how this will be effective. Could you imagine being sued as liable for someone you never saw?
Has anyone else heard of this? Perhaps there is more to it than what they reviewed on the Today Show. What do you think?

4 comments:

Justice said...

First I have heard of it, but I would *think* if the person paid at the pump then the cashier couldn't be held liable. Interesting, all these laws which contradict a recent one which states gun manufacturers cannot be sued... I wonder if those who sell ammunition will also be protected.

Special interests.

Art Hornbie said...

I don't like to follow you Americans too closely. And I don't know anything about this case but here goes ...

The drunk driver is probably suing gas chain and the person selling the gas for damages as a result of drunk driving. In other words, somebody failed to protect an incapable person.

Who is responsible for another person's health? Does this include everyone who allows poverty? Inequality? Lost opportunity? Afterall, poverty and education are the two largest determinants of health.

Americans are famous for suing everything and everybody. Hmm, that should eventually fix everything ... except for the gun, military, and nuclear industries.

Patty said...

I missed the show, but agree with you in the thoughts of how are they going to make this work. It sounds crazy to me. What happens if the gas was put in the car days ago, or last week? As much as I think drinking and driving is wrong, I also think that it is time for our government to start worrying about something that it can control like the high price of that gas!

Ravyn said...

Absolutly! I think we are all pretty much in agreement that this is a bit ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that it completely takes away from personal responsibility. So now it isnt the drunks fault it is everyone elses. A bit much, i think.